Christian Marriage Preparation Weekend Workshops will be offered three to four weekends per year. They are held in collaboration with local parish leadership. In order to register, an engaged couple must be referred by their pastor, associate pastor or deacon who is assisting them in preparation for their marriage. Please read the description for Weekend Workshops below. It is recommended that Marriage preparation workshops be scheduled early during your engagement and completed at least three months prior to the wedding date.
Registration for a workshop in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston is done by clicking the “Register” links after each location or clicking the REGISTER link on this page.
- October 21-22, 2017 – Saint John XXIII Pastoral Center, Charleston, WV. Click to Register.
- May 19-20, 2018 – Saint John XXIII Pastoral Center, Charleston, WV. Click to Register.
- October 20-21, 2018 – Saint John XXIII Pastoral Center, Charleston, WV. Click to Register.
- December 1-2, 2018 – Priest Field Pastoral Center, Kearneysville, WV. Click to Register.
Please register early, as spaces fill quickly.
As long as space allows, the registration deadline is 2 weeks prior to the start of the chosen weekend. In the event a diocesan workshop is canceled, registrants will be notified in advance.
A) Weekend Workshops. Because of new programs and processes, the marriage preparation weekend retreats were streamlined in August 2017. They now cover only 1-1/2 days with a one night stay at the retreat center. The new schedule begins on Saturday* morning with 9:00am check-in followed by morning sessions, lunch, afternoon sessions, dinner and evening prayer. The retreat continues Sunday morning with breakfast, a morning session, celebration of Mass, and concludes with lunch and issuance of Certificates of Completion.
(*If Friday evening lodging is needed, it should be made separately and directly with the pastoral center.)
The marriage preparation weekend retreat is designed to allow time for engaged couples to get away to a quiet place to learn of the Catholic Christian understanding of the Sacrament of Matrimony. Through theologically-based sessions, couples hear of the four core aspects of Catholic marriage: faith, communication, sexuality, and stewardship. Time is also allowed for couple reflection and discussion. Because of the new streamlined process, the cost has been reduced to only $125 per person which includes four meals, one overnight stay, and one workbook. Engaged couples are never denied the opportunity to attend a retreat because of financial need. Please contact the diocesan Office of Formation & Mission should you need financial assistance.
B) Parish-based Workshop Series. The start time for these is variable (i.e. 1:30-4:00pm, 6:00-8:30pm or 7:00-9:30pm depending on parish). The cost is minimal to participants.
C) Parish Sponsor or Companioning Couple Sessions. Contact your parish for marriage prep sponsor or companioning couples who may be available.
In addition, couples may also choose the option of regional Catholic Engaged Encounter Weekends. Carefully read the specific information at each Engaged Encounter website regarding time-frames, housing accommodations, registration costs, payment and all other required policies.
- Greensburg, PA: Please learn more about Greensburg Catholic Engaged Encounter at the following link: http://www.greensburgcee.com
- Pittsburgh, PA: Please learn more about Pittsburgh Catholic Engaged Encounter at the following link: http://www.pittsburghengagedencounter.org
- Steubenville, OH: Please learn more about the Steubenville Engaged Encounter at the following link: http://www.steubenvillecee.org
- Arlington, VA: Please learn more about Arlington Catholic Engaged Encounter at the following link: https://engagedencounterva.com
For more information about the diocesan pastoral centers or other workshop sites (including location information and directions), click on the name of the center.